Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lucy is Enciente

I have always felt a strong connection with Lucy Ricardo in the worlds first sitcom 'I Love Lucy'. I remember when I was a little girl I'd wake up at 5 am just to catch the early bird reruns of Lucy before getting ready for school. She captivated me. Here I am 20 years later and I swear I've seen every episode 50 times. I could recite the script of any episode along with the actors. I've thought about getting therapy or maybe a lobectomy to treat me of my impulsive obsession, but then I thought, who would want to live in a world without I Love Lucy? I am an eighty year old woman at heart.

The two most famous episodes of all time are Vitameatavegamin and The Chocolate Factory. Both are great, but they certainly aren't my favorite. I found that the episodes that played up their real life love were the best. What made the series so wonderful was the chemistry those two shared in real life came out on camera as well. When she became pregnant they were both terrified to break the news to the producers fearing they would halt production. Instead they actually wrote the pregnancy into the story line of the season. This allowed us all to experience along with them such a joyous event in their marriage. When she was five months along the best episode in the world was filmed, Lucy is Enciente.

What's interesting is that in those days the word pregnant was not allowed to be said on air. They used the term expecting, and even said, "infanticipating". Heck, they even slept in separate beds! Every script during this time was looked over and approved by a priest, a rabbi and a minister. No that's not a preface to a bad joke!

Lucy is Enciente began with Lucy discovering she was indeed pregnant and had to break the news to Ricky. She tried to tell him in a loving way over a cozy lunch at home, but Ricky was so distracted with stresses at work that she was unable to get the news out. She then decided to go to the club and tell him, only to be put on the spot in front of all of Ricky's band members. He loudly quieted the set stating, "Shhhh shhh everybody quiet down. My wife came all the way here to tell me something, that's the only thing that counts right now! What is it Honey?" She burst into tears and asked, "Do you have the time?" Oh so perfect.

After failing twice to break the big news she decided to surprise him during his show. When Ricky discovered it was Lucy who was expecting, his true emotions came through. He flubbed the words to rock a bye baby and began tearing up during the "Baby Song" he sang to Lucy. The scene was supposed to be both of them laughing and jumping for joy when instead it turned into a touching moment filled with real tears from both of them. I cry every time I watch this episode (and I watched it a million times while I was pregnant) and I secretly mourn their dissolved marriage all over again. I mean how could these two split? They were made for each other! Anyway I digress...





No comments:

Post a Comment