Saturday, September 8, 2012

Baffling Magic

My name is Angela. I am a wife, a mother, a nurse, and... wait for it....a magician! Well, not exactly. But I will explain. Ever since I was a little girl I was baffled by magic. I loved everything about it. The costumes, the wands, the animals, the stage. It was a production that blew my mind right before my eyes! My parents took me to see Lance Burton in Las Vegas when I was a little girl and I never forgot that day. I left with my head spinning trying to figure out how this wondrous man could possibly cut a woman in half! He did! He took a saw and sliced that leggy lady in two...I witnessed a murder! Then, somehow, she managed to put herself right back together again. I about died with delight. I was a small person with bulging eyes and a dream. I didn't want to be the beautiful leggy lady in the sparkling outfit. I wanted to be HIM! But sadly, I didn't become Lance Burton. Nope, not even close. I grew up, went to school, got a job, married a cute boy, had a baby girl and moved to suburbia. No doves, no white gloves, no wands. Just a plain magic-less life.

THEN, one day not long ago, I was reminded of a talent I learned in fifth grade...I can juggle! My husband and I were home sitting around doing nothing (you know, living the suburban dream) when my eyes fixed on a ceramic bowl filled with fake decorative apples. Huh, I thought. These apples are so useless just sitting there. I'd bet I could make them serve another purpose. So, I picked up three of them and tossed them in the air one by one and HOLY COW! My hibernating talent resting dormant for 16 years arose with a thunderous bang! I was amazing, nothing could stop me! I should have charged my husband for the show because it was that good! There I was in lavender pajamas gracefully prancing around the living room catching and throwing green apples while simultaneously squealing in delight. I felt the thrill again! It was then and there that I decided to bring magic back into my life!

Here is my favorite card trick of all time. It never fails to amaze and is super easy. I performed it for a real magician at a winery once (long story as to how that came about) and he applauded out loud for all to see!

Ace Party!




EFFECT: With the spectator's help, you make four piles of cards. When this is done you flip over all the piles and all four Aces are there.
Preperation: Arrange the deck like so: three Aces on the bottom and one on the top.
Presentation:
Ask the spectator to tell you when to stop putting down cards. Begin dealing cards face down on the table. Continue until they have you stop. After the first pile is down, stick the card deck, still in your hand, under the table and put the bottom card on top. This gives you an Ace on the top. Repeat the above steps until you have four piles. Then flip over all the piles to show an Ace on the bottom of each!

Check out this link to see some of the best magic tricks of all time! Love love love me some David Copperfield!
http://www.oddee.com/item_97015.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment